Friday, April 3, 2020

So You're Social Distancing Pt 7



Learning activates different parts of the brain, and today we're looking at learning something that also requires motor skills. JUGGLING. You're probably cursing me and telling me "I'm already juggling too much right now". I know, but this is something that keeps your mind and your muscles limber without doing physically taxing exercise. Check out this video for a quick tutorial on three-ball juggling, or if you want the challenge of four-ball juggling, this video is for you.

This one might seem a little weird, but it's something I've done throughout my life that really centers and focuses me, and it's not yoga or meditation (though those things are great). It will require purchasing a few things from a craft store, but you might still be able to get everything you need shipped to you in a somewhat timely fashion. What am I talking about? Cross stitching. Hopefully you're not put off by this suggestion, trust me I've cross stitched off an on for almost 3 decades. It's something that requires focus and fine motor skills. It's time consuming and very detailed. It's similar to building models, but you don't need a lot of paints and glues. You can find kits all over the internet in a variety of styles and subjects. Hopefully you'll give it a try before you write it off.

Paul's Binge Picks


Friday's picks have me pulling in a more recent gems that only have a few seasons but they're well worth the watch. First off is Amazon's Jack Ryan featuring none other than the multi-faceted John Krasinski. While I loved Harrison Ford's version of Jack Ryan, Krasinski has supplanted him in my mind as the perfect version of Tom Clancy's hero. While the first season outshines the second, the second does stack up nicely and pull elements from the novels that you might be familiar with.

Next a longer running show, Hulu's Brooklyn Nine-Nine. The ensemble cast, sitcom with some of the best one-liners on television and the always-hilarious Terry Crews is a breath of fresh air in terms of police television. The grit and grime of most procedurals are set aside for laughs and good times.

Last but not least is Bodyguard on Netflix. This show had me on the edge of my seat throughout every episode. Richard Madden plays a Scottish, Afghan war vet that now has a job guarding a cabinet member in the UK. The writers do a stellar job of crafting his layered personality as he deals with the stress of the job, PTSD, and his estranged family.

No comments:

Post a Comment