Monday, August 2, 2021

Things I Use - Lochby Field Journal

 


I did a quick piece on this piece of kit about a month ago after a week's worth of use. This post serves as my impressions of the Lochby Field Journal after a month of having two of them in my EDC. If you missed the initial post I'm including it first, then I'll move into my thoughts now that I've had a chance to use the Field Journal for 30 days.


Today, I'm taking a look at a new addition to my daily carry/stationery loadout. While I still carry my Rickshaw Banzai Bag, I've added a few new items from Lochby, who recently reached out to us and provided some samples. To be honest, I'd already ordered the Navy Field Journal before I began using the Charcoal Field Journal which was one of the samples provided. I've moved two of my Seven Seas journals out of my Banzai Bag and into these two A5 cases so I can adequately judge how they fit into my daily carry.

First off, I'll get the big "issue" right out of the way in terms of "but they're not American made". No they're not, Lochby were completely upfront in that respect and that's fine. It wasn't something I was concerned about, partially because I knew that without them providing the information and partially because I was more interested in seeing what kind of quality of craftsmanship and overall durability one could get for under $50 dollars. Suffice to say, I'm highly impressed with the product.

Here's the thing, while I often carry one or more A5 notebooks, I rarely use an A5 case. There are a few reasons for this. First off, there aren't really that many quality A5 cases in my price range. The problem most makers run into with a case like this is equivalent to feature creep. They pack way too much into their product, and it quickly balloons from a case to a case, that holds 5 pens, multiple smaller accessories, has external zipper pouches, and the list goes on and on. The last case I purchased was so cumbersome after it was outfitted that it mirrored a small briefcase rather than a notebook case.

Secondarily, several cases I've purchased have suffered from truly shoddy craftsmanship. One showed up with stitching already failing at seams, and the hard "board" was so soft it felt like a few layers of fabric rather than anything with substance. The others often began losing stitching or form within the first week of use. I'm not overly hard on my gear, so this type of issue isn't something that could have happened from misuse. It was just poor manufacturing.

The Lochby Field Journal, on the other hand, does exactly what it says. It's a journal (A5) notebook case that can hold six of the Lochby Refills, or as I've found, one of those refills, AND a Seven Seas notebook. There is the space for some business cards, a passport, a small tablet or e-reader, but not TOO much space. That really if you're just using a slimmer notebook. So this doesn't suffer from feature creep.

It's also REALLY stout. The double-stitching is a GOOD sign, and though some of it doesn't look perfect, it fits the overall aesthetic of the case itself. The internal honeycomb sailcloth is a REALLY nice touch and adds a clean look to the product. The aluminum hook closure works really well without being prone to coming undone or breaking. Though I've only had these cases in the mix for a little over a week, I'm REALLY happy with the results.

The only initial negative I have with the Lochby Field Journal are the elastic "straps" inside to hold the smaller Lochby Refills. They're a little bit too loose, though I'm not using them on the refills, I'm using them on my Seven Seas. It's not that they stretch too much, it's that there's too much slack, in them. Technically their are four of them wound through the "spine" of the case. But the two on the left are basically one long piece woven through four holes to make two separate "straps". Same with the two on the right. So when you use one, and tighten it down, the other pulls too much slack through. It's not a deal breaker for me since I really only use two of them. But it's my biggest pet peeve so far.

If you're interested in the Lochby Field Journal, you can find it here. This is just my personal opinion about the product based on my experiences so far. We do not have a working relationship with Lochby at this time as a company further than supplying them with some samples and them reciprocating.

Now that I've had a chance to really give the two Field Journals I have a good beating, I'm ready to double down on a lot of what I wrote above. I think durability is really where the Field Journal shines, I've carried one or both of these with me every day since I got them, and I made the conscious decision to be a little rougher on these than I normally would. I wanted to give them a bit of a beating. Unsurprisingly, they've held up to all the abuse I put them through. Tossing them in the car, a few spills of coffee (which were accidental), dropping them a few times when I carried way too much, carrying them outside of a bag or backpack, and generally treating them like they were indestructible has left with the opinion that they're quite a bit sturdier than even I imagined.

Now that we've covered build quality and durability, I'll move to the second most important part for me which was the design and functionality of the Field Journal. This is another area where the Field Journal passes, maybe not with full marks, but pretty darn close. I'm still not a fan of the elastic bands that are used and honestly the "bookmarks" are also a bit of a bother, but I can simply choose to not use those parts of the case. The only real mark against the overall design that I could find was the external pocket on the back of the case. It's relatively difficult to use and doesn't hold anything, plus the Velcro adds a weird bulge to the back that's kind of a pain in the ass. If I had my druthers, I'd have a Field Journal without that pocket on the back, and I'd be a happy camper. The internal pockets have specific uses: business cards, credit cards, a passport, etc. The slide-in on the back can hold an extra Lochby refill or other thin notebooks. The buckle closure on the front feels great, looks good, and works to keep the Field Journal closed. The elastic pen loop hasn't let me down yet, and I've been using multiple pens with different diameters in them to see if I can wear it out.

Aesthetics is an area I kind of glossed over in my initial thoughts, largely because that tends to lean more subjective than I wanted to be with this item. I'm sure the way the Field Journal looks and feels will be a deal-breaker for many people. Canvas and sailcloth aren't what everyone is looking for. The large buckle on the front could be seen as distracting and obnoxious. Personally, I love the way it looks. It's rugged and almost simplistic in how all of the pieces and parts fit together. But it's not plain. There is an aspect of timelessness to the design, making it feel like it could be a product that was available 50 years ago. Yes, there's Velcro, elastic, and X-Pac sailcloth, but when the Field Journal is closed the overall design has me wondering if my grandfather could have carried something similar in the Pacific Theater in World War II. 

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the Lochby Field Journal. It's likely to stay in my EDC for the foreseeable future, at least while I carry an A5 notebook on a daily basis. I haven't found anything similar that offers the same quality at the price point on the market. Granted, I haven't done a TON of looking, but the Field Journal outperforms all of my previous A5 cases and it's much less expensive. 

2 comments:

  1. I am happy with mine as well, with one wish for improvement for a v2. Ideally the pen in the loop should be protected by the cover, not sticking out. I will not put an expensive resin fountain pen in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete